Have you been looking for ways to improve hair health and achieve your hair goals without causing a dent in your pocket? Top trichologists confirm that looking after your scalp’s needs and concerns is imperative, especially if you wish to obtain long, healthy, and nourished manes. So, if you are someone who pays sole attention to your hair strands for length, volume and shines while overlooking the needs of your scalp then it is high time you reconsider your decisions. There are numerous scalp treatments available, including those you can do at the comfort of your home. However, massaging your scalp is by far one of the easiest and pocket-friendly ways to look after your scalp and hair health. In fact, an analytical study conducted by the Journal of Plastic Surgery found that regular scalp massages may lead to healthier and thicker hair growth.
Top benefits of scalp massage
- Promotes hair growth
- Adds shine and smoothness to hair
- Improves hair thickness
- Reduces hair loss
- Relieves stress
1. Promotes hair growth
According to various research studies, a regular scalp massage can help to promote hair growth. Scalp massage increases the blood flow to your hair follicle and helps in better absorption of nutrients. Similarly, a study published in the US National Library of Medicine states that exercising your scalp is yet another incredible, easy and effective way to accomplish healthy scalp and hair. In addition, certain scalp exercises help to cease hair thinning while providing thick and voluminous tresses.
2. Adds shine and smoothness to hair
Oiling is grandmother's secret for supper glossy and frizzy-free hair. Applying oil on your hair and scalp helps to hydrate locks and supply nutrients to roots. With the help of a head massage, you can easily restore your hair’s lost lustre. The use of essential oils is considered good for scalp health.
3. Improves hair thickness
If you are someone who is consistently looking for ways to improve and promote the volume and thickness of your manes then you are in for a treat. According to Japanese scientific experimentation conducted in 2016, 9 healthy men received daily scalp massage on one side of their head. In the span of 24 weeks, the scientists noticed a visible difference and improvement in hair thickness and volume.
4. Reduces hair loss
Numerous trichologists state that your scalp health and hair loss are intertwined. As it happens, a study conducted in the early months of 2019 tracked the effects of regular scalp massages. The study reported that with a regular head massage time of 11 to 20 minutes for 6 to 8 months, they could notice a significant stabilization of hair loss in the participants. Put it simply, scalp massage is a proven tip for hair regrowth.
5. Relieves stress
Stress is a fairly common culprit behind numerous hair, skin, and health problems. Speaking of, a 2017 study claims that stress has led to a rise in people experiencing hair shedding. This is where the importance of a scalp massage arises. The benefit of scalp massage is it relaxes the nerves on the skin's surface by stimulating gentle pressure. Additionally, it also helps to relieve headaches that occur due to anxiety and also improves your sleep quality.
How to massage your scalp?
Indulging time and pampering your scalp is definitely a good habit. However, if you wish to attain the maximum results then it is pivotal to go over your scalp massaging techniques and ways. Mastering your scalp massaging techniques will not only benefit your scalp and hair but also provide benefits to your overall health and well-being.
- Give your feet a rest and sit down in a relaxing and comfortable position. Sitting down before massaging your scalp allows you to stay focused during the massage without exhausting your body or brain.
- Allow your body to loosen up without applying any pressure on your shoulder or neck. Place a towel around your neck to shield your clothes from getting stained with oil.
- Warm the oil of your liking to a bearable temperature before using it. Doing so will help to open up your scalp pores while allowing the oil to penetrate into your hair roots. You can always add a few drops of essential oil along with the carrier oil of your liking. Although, remember to take a patch test to prevent any allergic reactions from the essential oil.
- Section your manes before pouring some oil. With the help of your fingertips, gently massage your scalp in circular motions. Remember, slow and deliberate movements are relaxing whereas vigorous movement helps to enhance the energy and circulation of your scalp. Continue massaging your scalp for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
- After you are done with the scalp massage, dip a towel in warm water, wring it out, and wrap it around your head for added conditioning and smoothness of your manes.
- Leave it on your scalp for at least 30 minutes, longer if possible before washing it away with sulphate and silicone-free shampoo. You can also leave the oil on overnight for a better outcome.
It is wise to understand that a scalp massage cannot treat hair loss or any scalp ailment, solely. However, massaging your scalp regularly will surely help you in the journey to acquire healthy and long tresses. So, if you wish to curb any scalp ailment like hair loss, hair thinning, pattern baldness etc., then it is equally important to follow a good hair and scalp care regimen. Remember, at the end of the day, daily scalp and hair pampering is the secret to healthy and glamorous tresses.
Ingredients present in your shampoos and conditioners can also affect your scalp health. Numerous research studies pointed out that sulphates, parabens, and phthalates are few common ingredients in hair care products and are unsafe to your scalp and hair. However, the regular use of these ingredients is found to cause scalp irritations, rough and brittle hair. Always read product labels to avoid unwanted side effects to your hair and scalp.