5 Amazing Benefits Of Scalp Massage
Have you been looking for ways to improve hair health and achieve your hair goals without causing a dent in your pocket? Top trichologists confirm that looking after your scalp’s needs and concerns is imperative, especially if you wish to obtain long, healthy and nourished manes. So, if you are someone who pays sole attention to your hair strands for length, volume and shines while overlooking the needs of your scalp then it is high time you reconsider your decisions. There are numerous scalp treatments available, including those you can do at the comfort of your home. However, massaging your scalp is by far one of the easiest and pocket-friendly way to look after your scalp and hair health. In fact, an analytical study conducted by the Journal of Plastic Surgery found that regular scalp massages may lead to healthier and thicker hair growth.
- Promotes hair growth
- Fights dandruff
- Improves hair thickness
- Reduces hair loss
- Relieves stress
1. Promotes hair growth
According to various research studies, a regular scalp massage can have a beneficial effect on your hair growth rate. Daily scalp massages increase the blood flow to your hair follicle. What’s more, it combats and prevents the activity of genes linked to hair loss, thereby helping you procure better hair growth cycle.
2. Fights dandruff
Dandruff is a fairly common scalp problem which can occur to children and adults. To put it simply, dandruff is a scalp condition which results in flaky skin and itching. Studies show that you can effectively prevent dandruff by improving your scalp and hair health. Moreover, various research studies show that adding a simple scalp massage into your everyday hair care regimen will provide a noticeable reduction in dandruff. A regular hot oil scalp massage delivers hydration and nourishment to your scalp, therefore preventing dry scalp, flakes and dandruff.
3. Improves hair thickness
If you are someone who is consistently looking for ways to improve and promote the volume and thickness of your manes then you are in for a treat. According to Japanese scientific experimentation conducted in 2016, 9 healthy men received daily scalp massage on one side of their head. In the span of 24 weeks, the scientists noticed a visible difference and improvement in hair thickness and volume. As hypothesized by the researchers, it is believed that a scalp massage increases your blood circulation while elevating the thickness of hair follicles, hence lending thick and voluminous tresses.
4. Reduces hair loss
Numerous trichologists state that your scalp health and hair loss are intertwined. As it happens, a study conducted in the early months of 2019 tracked the effects of regular scalp massages. The study reported that with regular massage time of 11 to 20 minutes for 6 to 8 months, they could notice a significant stabilization of hair loss in the participants.
Similarly, a study published in the US National Library of Medicine states that exercising your scalp is yet another incredible, easy and effective way to accomplish healthy scalp and hair. The study further claims that numerous scalp exercise promotes hair growth by stimulating the blood flow to hair follicles. In addition, certain scalp exercises help to cease hair thinning while providing thick and voluminous tresses.
5. Relieves stress
Stress is a fairly common culprit behind numerous hair, skin and health problems. Speaking of, a 2017 study claims that stress has lead to a rise in people experiencing hair loss. This is where the importance of a scalp massage arises. Scalp massages relax the nerves on the skin's surface by stimulating gentle pressure, hence reducing the level of stress hormone. Moreover, it also helps to relieve anxiety, while managing your blood pressure.
The Best Massaging Technique
Indulging time and pampering your scalp is definitely a good habit. However, if you wish to attain the maximum results then it is pivotal to go over your scalp massaging techniques and ways. Mastering your scalp massaging techniques will not only benefit your scalp and hair but also provide benefit to your overall health and well being.
- Give your feet a rest and sit down in a relaxing and comfortable position. Sitting down before massaging your scalp allows you to stay focused during the massage without exhausting your body or brain.
- Allow your body to loosen up without applying any pressure on your shoulder or neck. Place a towel around your neck to shield your clothes from getting stained with oil.
- Warm the oil of your liking to a bearable temperature before using it. Doing so will help to open up your scalp pores while allowing the oil to penetrate into your hair roots. You can always add a few drops of essential oil along with the carrier oil of your liking. Although, remember to take a patch test to prevent any allergic reactions from the essential oil.
- Section your manes before pouring some oil. Using the pads of your fingers, work the oil into your scalp in small circular motions. Remember, slow and deliberate movements are relaxing whereas vigorous movement helps to enhance energy and circulation of your scalp. Continue massaging your scalp for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
- After you are done with the scalp massage, dip a towel in warm water, wring it out, and wrap it around your head for added conditioning and smoothness of your manes.
- Leave it on your scalp for at least 30 minutes, longer if possible before washing it away with sulphate and silicone-free shampoo. You can also leave the oil on overnight for a better outcome.
It is wise to understand that a scalp massage cannot treat hair loss or any scalp ailment, solely. However, massaging your scalp regularly will surely help you in the journey to acquire healthy and long tresses. So, if you wish to curb any scalp ailment like hair loss, hair thinning, pattern baldness etc., then it is equally important to follow a good hair and scalp care regimen. Remember, at the end of the day, daily scalp and hair pampering is the secret to healthy and glamorous tresses.