At What Age Should You Start Using An Eye Cream?
At What Age Should You Start Using An Eye Cream?
Don't wait until it's too late to show your love and care to your beautiful eyes. Admit it or not, your eyes truly deserve your appreciation. Be it a party, date or any other occasion, good eye makeup adds charm to your appearance. But when you go to buy your skin care products, you easily ignore the eye cream section. This is the biggest skin care mistake you are probably making. A lot of you have this common misconception that you are too young to incorporate an eye cream into your skincare routine.
To clear all your doubts and confusion about under eye care, we consulted Dr. Aseem, board-certified dermatologist at Skin Saga Centre Mumbai. Dr. Aseem explains that skin surrounding your eyes is very thin, fragile, and sensitive. This is the reason the first lines of ageing begin to appear around the eyes. Apart from your sleep and eating habits, there are many other factors that impact your under eye skin. Hence, an early under eye care is a wise decision to protect and nourish the delicate skin.
Some interesting facts about under-eye skin
- Your skin around the eyes is 10 times thinner than the rest of your face. It means that delicate skin dries out quickly and is more susceptible to extrinsic factors of skin ageing like ultraviolet rays and harsh conditions.
- The skin around the eyes does not have oil glands. Hence it needs to be moisturized externally to keep your under-eye skin hydrated, healthy, and youthful.
- On average, a person blinks around 15 to 20 times each minute. That means you blink 10000 times in a day. Over time, repetitive involuntary eye movements like frowning, squinting, and laughing lead to the development of crow's feet.
- When you age, the skin around the eyes starts losing its elasticity due to the loss of collagen and elastin proteins. This leads to droopy eyelids, wrinkles, sunken eyes, and dark circles.
- Using regular facial creams around the eyes can damage and irritate the extra delicate skin. It has been found that your under-eye skin is sensitive to ingredients found in facial creams and moisturizers. That's why it becomes crucial to use under-eye creams to nourish the soft and delicate skin.
- Rubbing your under the skin can damage blood vessels ultimately giving you periorbital hyperpigmentation.
What does under-eye cream do?
Under-eye creams are formulated specially to maintain resilience and hydration in delicate skin around your eyes. They contain active ingredients that are lightweight in texture and ensure the highest delivery of antioxidants in delicate skin. Research studies reveal that active ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, Chenopodium Quinoa Seed Extract, and lumiskin are very beneficial in keeping your under eyes area soft, smooth, and plump. Anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anti-aging properties help to brighten up dull skin around the eyes while providing protection from extrinsic aging factors.
- Prevents premature wrinkling around eyes
- Minimizing the fine lines and wrinkles
- Fades away dark circles
- Reduces under eyes puffiness
- Rejuvenates delicate skin
1. Prevents premature wrinkling around eyes
Under-eye care is the one of most underrated steps in a skin care regimen. However, when you keep your under-eye skin hydrated and nourished, you are less likely to experience premature wrinkling around the eyes. According to a 2012 research study, topical application of hyaluronic acid helps to prevent premature aging of the skin. Therefore, starting to use an under-eye cream is a great idea to build up the best skin care routine in your 20s and 30s.
2. Minimizing the fine lines and wrinkles
Various factors such as sun exposure, lack of hydration, tugging, and poor lifestyle habits contribute to the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes. The use of an under eye cream comprising antioxidants and emollients helps to prevent and reduce the appearance of crow's feet (fine lines coming from the corners of your eyes).
3. Fades away dark circles
Dark circles are one of the most common under-eye problems that bother men and women equally. Dr. Aseem explains that your computer and mobile screen create a real strain on your eyes, which leads to dark circles. Other factors such as sleep deprivation, unprotected sun exposure, and aging are also the significant reasons behind dark circles underneath your eyes. It has been observed that under-eye creams containing Chenopodium Quinoa Seed Extract help to get rid of under-eye dark circles and fine lines effectively. This natural ingredient helps to brighten up the skin under your eyes and improve skin elasticity.
4. Reduces under eyes puffiness
Puffiness or under eyes bags makes your peepers appear sad and tired. Luckily, under-eye creams are a saving grace to alleviate the swelling under your eyes. Moisturizing ingredients in under-eye creams help to relax thin blood vessels under your eyes, which ultimately gives you a refreshing appearance.
5. Rejuvenates delicate skin
You are already aware of the fact that under eye skin is more vulnerable to damage and aging than the rest of your face. Under-eye creams that come with the goodness of ingredients like lumiskin help to rejuvenate and repair the soft under-eye skin. Lumiskin helps to decrease the pigmentation around the eyes by controlling the activity of the tyrosinase enzyme. It also helps to prevent early aging in the eye area.
With regular nourishment and pampering of the under-eye skin, you can thwart early eye aging signs. Under-eye creams can be a valuable addition to the skin care routine for anyone who is dealing with dark circles, puffy eyes, and eye wrinkles. Additionally, it is important to understand which skin care ingredients are good for under eye skin and which one you should consider avoiding. Dermatologists explain that non comedogenic, parabens, and sulphate free are the important features of an ideal under eye cream. Invest in a good under-eye cream and attain brighter, firm, and youthful under-eye areas for the long term.
Since the skin around your eyes is very fragile and sensitive, thereby gentle application is a must. Whether it is your make-up products or under eyes cream, always try to use your ring finger for dabbing or patting your products. It is said that the ring finger is the weakest finger on your hands, so it does not create extra strain during product application.