Pores play an essential role in the skin's health. They allow your skin to breathe, get rid of toxins, and cool off. As such, they keep the skin healthy.
Pores are small openings of hair follicles on your skin.
However, enlarged pores can be problematic. They can lead to bacteria build-up and or clogging. Unclean and unhealthy pores can cause various skin conditions, including acne.
So, can you shrink your pore size? The truth is that although pores are genetically determined, research says that it may be possible to shrink their size using some products and treatments.
One such product for pore shrinking is niacinamide. Today, we will learn how to use this ingredient to shrink enlarged pores. Let's get started.
What Causes Large Pores?
Several factors can influence the size of your pores.
Loss of skin elasticity due to aging
With aging, your skin’s ability to produce key skin proteins called elastin and collagen begins to reduce. This leads to the loss of skin elasticity, ultimately resulting in bigger pores , wrinkles, and saggy skin.
Increased sebum production
Your pores contain sebaceous glands that produce an oily, waxy substance called sebum.
Research says that excess sebum production contributes to bigger pores on the face , acne and oily skin.
Unprotected exposure to UV radiations
A research study published in Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dermatology has mentioned that sun exposure is a significant factor that contributes to enlarged pores on your skin.
Too much exposure to UV radiations reduces the skin's elasticity and plumpness.
How does niacinamide work on enlarged pores?
Niacinamide works on pores reduction through its anti inflammatory and sebostastic properties.
- Niacinamide tightens and reduces the appearance of enlarged pores to give you super smooth and clear skin.
- A study published in Cosmeceuticals and Cosmetic Practise concluded that niacinamide greatly reduces pore size and improves skin texture. That's because of its ability to reduce oil production.
- Niacinamide encourages the production of ceramides to strengthen the structure of skin barrier .
- Backed by clinical studies, niacinamide acts as a powerful antioxidant for your skin and is greatly effective to battle fine lines, wrinkles, dull and photodamaged skin.
Niacinamide has ability to shrink enlarged pores, but pairing it with other pore refining ingredients is crucial to get expected results
It is a unique yarrow extract that visibly reduces the appearance of enlarged pores.
Neurobiox™ has epidermal renewal properties to offer refined and toned skin texture.
Re’equil Niacinamide Pore Refining serum contains Neurobiox™ which offers visible reduction in enlarged pores with many additional benefits. This dynamic duo helps to stimulate the cell turnover, improve skin elasticity, and promote smooth looking skin.
2. Hyaluronic acid
When your skin does not receive enough hydration and moisturization on a daily basis, it leads to enlarged pores, saggy skin, and fine lines.
When you use a face serum that contains hyaluronic acid, it refines your pores and plumps your skin .
Hyaluronic acid offers ultimate hydration to your skin while regulating sebum production, ultimately making it suitable for all skin types.
3. Witch hazel Extract
Excess sebum production and clogged pores are the major cause of larger looking open pores.
Witch hazel Extract removes excess sebum from pores and prevents clogged pores, oily skin, and acne.
Owing to anti-inflammatory properties of Witch hazel Extract, it calms and soothes inflammation associated with acne.
Witch hazel Extract is a natural astringent that helps to shrink enlarged pores.
How to use niacinamide?
Introducing niacinamide to your skincare routine is not hard. But, it is important to start using the right concentration of niacinamide to avoid any adverse effects such as purging, redness, and skin irritation.
Research shows that 3% to 5% of niacinamide is best for people with all skin types including sensitive skin.
- Make sure you thoroughly cleanse your skin first before using it. Also, apply twice a day.
- So, after cleansing, you can apply a niacinamide toner to hydrate and replenish your skin.
- If you have enlarged pores, bumpy skin texture, or lax pores, dermatologists recommend niacinamide at 5% concentration. This will help reduce these issues quicker, and with time your skin will be smoother, and you will have a refined texture.
- But like any other ingredient, don't forget to use broad-spectrum sunscreen on top. This way, you will maximize niacinamide benefits while protecting your skin from UV radiation damage
It's possible to shrink pores using niacinamide. That's because this ingredient reduces sebum production while improving skin elasticity. However, we advise speaking to a professional skin expert first before adding it to your routine.
Luckily, Re'equil India Private Limited is here to answer all your questions regarding this powerful ingredient. We offer niacinamide serums and other products to help tone, soften, brighten, and smooth your skin. Contact us for more information.