The first and foremost aspect to be considered to achieve healthy skin characteristics is to inculcate a well formulated skin care regime that emphasise on gentle cleansing, toning, moisturising, and effective protection from the sun. More importantly, it should focus on the formulations of the products that are enriched with elements like ceramides, hyaluronic acid, glycerine etc. They are known to collectively work to strengthen the skin barrier and give out a supple, hydrated and a healthy skin type. During this process, understanding your skin type is highly crucial for selecting a skin regime that work best for you. Nevertheless, to improve overall skin health, a combination of a well strategized skin care regime coupled with healthy lifestyle approaches can prove to be highly beneficial. You may inculcate these simple healthy alternatives-
- Steer clear of consuming simple carbs
- Quit smoking and drinking
- Manage stress and prioritise sleep
- Eat a well-balanced and healthy diet
- Avoid intense sun exposure
- Exfoliate your skin gently
5 Effective formulations to opt for maintaining moisture/hydration levels of skin
Ultimately the efficacy of any skincare product depends on the compatibility to your skin matrix. To achieve beautiful skin, the first step is to understand your skin type. For instance, treating dry skin differs significantly from treatment of oily skin type. Incorrect or mismatched skin treatments can result is negative repercussions such as early aging, inflammation, dark circles, fine lines, acne pits, increased sensitivity and even acne breakouts. Lets follow this step-by-step routine power packed with effective formulations to attain a healthy radiant skin type-
Your skincare journey is built on a reliable and efficient cleanser. They provide a base for other cosmeceuticals products to perform efficiently. It is critical to cleanse at least twice a day to get rid of excess sebum production, pollutants and balance of the skin’s pH levels. Make sure to look for the following ingredients in your face wash, this summer to achieve skin benefits like maintained pore size, improved skin hydration and preventing acne breakouts-
Face wash for promoting even skin tone
- Sugarcane Extract- Alpha hydroxy acid, an essential ingredient of the sugarcane extract is regarded to be an excellent ingredient for maintaining skin pH levels, radiance and removing age spots.
- Vaccinium Myrtillus Fruit- The antioxidants in this extract can reduce hyperpigmentation and provide the required hydration levels
- Lemon Fruit Extract- It reduce signs of premature aging and aids in reviving the skin's inherent radiance by fighting acne and age spots.
- Zinc PCA- Enriched with skin healing properties and balancing skin hydration.
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine- Perfect cleanser for over sensitive skin types and works best to remove pollutants and oil that tend to get embedded in the skin matrix.
- Glycerol Oleate- Known to increase skin firmness by permeating the stratum corneum of the skin structure and impart skin softening effects.
- Niacinamide- Repairs the skin barrier function and minimizing excessive oil production by further prevents the onset of blemishes, dark spots, and wrinkles.
Alcohol-free toners are formulated to balance and hydrate the skin after cleansing. In addition to refining overall skin texture, balancing pH levels of the skin and regulating oil production, toners are a great option to make the skin feel fresh and rejuvenated in summers. To beat the summer heat this year, make sure your toners have the following ingredients-
- Ivy leaf extract- It helps in deeply moisturising skin and ease inflammation from acne breakouts.
- Witch hazel- It helps the pores adjust to normal size and give the skin a more balanced firm appearance.
- Arctium majus- This element has natural anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
- Allantoin- This emollient is excellent for sensitive skin types and is known for its anti-ageing properties.
Weather it's summers or winters, make sure to never skip the moisturising routine. It is a very essential step as it helps regulate the oil glands and retain healthy skin function. Make sure to include the following ingredients to achieve maximum visible results-
- Hyaluronic Acid (HA)- This active humectant imparts supple radiant skin and replenishes the lipid barrier of the skin.
- Ceramides I, III, and VI: This perfect lipid network fortifies the skin barrier and protects it from various environmental aggressors whilst repairing the skin barrier and improving the fundamental health of skin cells.
- Alpha bisabolol - Helps soothes skin and also provides anti-inflammatory properties. It reduces the appearance of red skin and additionally eradicates acne and acne scars.
Prolonged exposure to UV radiations from the sun leads to wrinkles and pigmentation marks triggering an early ageing process. When the skin is directly exposed to UV B radiations form the sun, it tends to damage the collagen matrix of the skin causing loss of elasticity and appearance of dark blotchy skin tone. This summer, make sure to include sunscreen with the following properties-
- Organic or Inorganic Filters: Inorganic filters include minerals like titanium dioxide and zinc oxide that work by scattering and reflecting UV radiations.
- PA+++ Broad Spectrum: Board spectrum sunscreen protects the skin from both UV A and UV B.
- SPF: Go for SPF 50 that provides protection from around 98% of UVB radiation.
- Water Resistant: Ensure that your sunscreen is water/sweat resistant
- Enriched with ingredients like Caprylic Capric Triglyceride, Eurol Bt, Vit E and Aloe vera extract.
You may also kickstart your summer skincare routine with a multipurpose sun CC cream that not only contains a SPF 50 but also treat pigmentation and boosts hydration levels. In addition to giving out a radiant matte look, it is power packed with effective ingredients like Caprylyl Methicone and Calmnerv CR. They strengthen skin tolerance against external pollutants, help soothe skin inflammation and gives out a plump appearance by refining fine lines and preventing moisture loss.
5 Hygiene checks for keeping skin healthy and refreshedHealthy lifestyle approaches coupled with power ingredients and a few hygiene checks can be a perfect combination to keep skin healthy and refreshed. A few pointers to keep in mind are-
1. Eat healthy
Antioxidants enriched fruits and vegetables help protect skin from free radical and cellular damage. This damage is imposed by smoking habits, sun exposure, pollutants etc. As crucial as the skincare products you use on your skin are, the foods you consume also part a major role in your overall skin health. You may stick to-
- Lean proteins and whole grains
- Grean leafy vegetables
- Fish oil supplements
- Low calorie diets and lesser carbs
2. Say No to smoking
Smoking triggers early signs of aging, especially for the facial skin. It causes the blood vessels in the epidermis of the skin to constrict that reduces blood flow and deprives the skin of oxygen and essential nutrients. This trigger coupled with the summer heat results in compromised skin functionality such as reduced levels of collagen and elastin. Furthermore, it causes fines lines, wrinkles, acnes and skin darkening.
Stress is a serial killer for the skin health. It crumbles the general health of an individual with direct visible and early signs of aging. It increases the skin’s sensitivity making it vulnerable to acne outbreaks and other skin issues. Some of the measures that can be adopted are-
- Be mindful of your daily activities
- Try meditation
- Get enough sleep
- Make time for your favourite hobby
4. Drink a lot of water
Drinking plenty water helps flush out toxins from the body that directly improves the complexion of the skin giving out a radiant and healthier skin type. Water has great benefits for both the facial skin and general health. It helps maintain skin suppleness by maintaining skin hydration levels, resulting in
- Reduced wrinkles
- Inhibits acne breakouts
- Balances skin pH levels
- Flush toxins out
This summer, make sure to make water (Calorie-free) your best friend and steer clear from calorie-dense beverages.
5. Get adequate sleep and a fixed sleep routine
Lack of sleep highlights symptoms of early ageing such as dullness, dark circles and fine lines. Improper sleep leaves no buffer for the skin to recover at night from the everyday environmental stresses like sun and blue light exposure. Our body heals and repairs itself when asleep and that is the time new blood cells, muscle and brain cells are regenerated. Our body is unable to manufacture new collagen with inadequate sleep coupled with a hectic schedule causing skin sagging and dullness.
It goes without saying that skin transforms with changing seasons. With the onset of winters, the skin’s natural moisture is stripped off causing dry patches, scales and itchiness. On the other hand, summers brings with it high levels of humidity and excessive sweating making the skin vulnerable to clogged pores, greasy skin tone, infections and acne breakouts. Irrespective of specific skincare guidelines for each season, one should understand their skin type and products that suit best to them.
During summers, you can shield your skin from the damaging effects of the sun and heat with a few easy actions, such as cleansing, toning, moisturising, drinking enough of water and wearing sunscreen