How To Treat Dark Circles Naturally
Paulo Coelho once very beautifully transmitted, “The eyes are the mirror of the soul and reflect everything that seems to be hidden; and like a mirror, they also reflect the person looking into them.” However, it isn’t always a case, especially when Netflix marathons with a buildup of late nights, leaves you receptive to dark circles and exhausted eyes. If you find yourself worrying and questioning, 'how to treat dark circles?', despite it being a common skin concern then it’s high time you hit refresh on your peepers.
As might be expected, dark circles are undeniably a bugbear and exceptionally annoying when they make you look ill or much older than your actual age. We do understand your worry, dark circles not only indicate health problems in the rest of your body which is undoubtedly alarming; but also affects you physically while targeting your confidence by making you self-conscious. However, several research studies claim that you can treat dark circles with the help of vitamins, antioxidants etc. So, why not reap the benefits of vitamins, antioxidants from the ingredients present in your own pantry? Have a look at some of the best solutions we have tailored for you.
What causes dark circles?
Dark circles can be easily identified with the help of complexion of the skin around your eyes. It is a common problem for all genders and age groups. The skin framing your eyes becomes thinner and collagen is lost. It occasionally enhances the appearance of blood vessels under your eyes, ultimately making them area appear darker. Some of the common causes of dark circles are genetics, hyperpigmentation, lack of sleep, overexposure to the sun, etc.
Best ways to remove dark circles naturally at-home
- Raw almond oil
- Lemon eye mask
- Teabag compress
- Aloe vera therapy
- Tomato eye toner
1. Raw almond oil
Enriched with the goodness of vitamin E, raw almond oil is just what you need to remove dark circles near eyes naturally. A study shows that raw almond oil not only helps to fade the unwanted dark circles but also nourishes your skin when applied daily. However, not just that, it is one of the best natural remedies for dark circles during pregnancy.
How to apply it?
- Take 2-3 drops of raw almond oil on your fingertips.
- Massage the oil on the affected area with a gentle circular motion.
- Allow your skin to absorb the goodness of oil for 15-20 minutes then rinse it away with the help of sulphate silicone-free cleanser.
2. Lemon eye mask
A lemon mask is a one-stop solution and answer to your question on how to get rid of dark circles. Enriched with vitamin C and citric acid, lemon carries skin bleaching properties. The citric acid helps to tighten the skin under your eyes while vitamin C helps to fade any dark circles.
How to apply it?
- Squeeze half a lemon in a bowl.
- Dip a cotton ball into that ball and gently apply it with care on the affected areas to ensure that no juice enters your eyes.
- Rinse it away after 3-4 minutes with the help of normal water and pat dry.
3. Teabag compress
This is another easy and effective home remedy to remove under-eye dark circles. Tea contains caffeine and various other antioxidants that help to stimulate blood circulation while reducing retention of liquid in your skin. While the tannin (tannoids) present in tea bags has been proven to reduce any inflammation as well as dark circles. According to Dermatologist Andrea Kunin, co-author of the DERMAdoctor Skinstruction Manual, green tea bags are one of the ways to remove under eye dark circles as it contains EGCG that removes under eye fluid buildup.
How to apply it?
- Soak two black or green tea bags in hot water for 4-5 minutes.
- Store the tea bags in the fridge and let it cool down for 25-30 minutes.
- Once cold, apply them under your eyes for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse your eyes with fresh water and apply a non-comedogenic moisturizer under your eyes to provide extra nourishment.
4. Aloe vera therapy
The evidence of aloe vera effectively removing under eye dark circles is more than anecdotal. According to the National Institute of Health, cucumber has high water content and antioxidant properties which help to reduce swelling and while aloe vera treat dark circles while soothing the delicate skin under your eyes. Apart from that, together they improve your blood circulation while providing nourishment to your skin.
How to apply it?
- Grate the cucumber into a bowl and add 1 spoon of aloe vera paste to it.
- Blend the mixture well and apply it on the affected areas for 15-20 minutes.
- Once the time is up, rinse your skin with fresh water.
- Repeat this process for 2 consecutive days to notice the results.
5. Tomato eye toner
Tomatoes contain antioxidants known as lycopene and bleaching properties that depreciate and ultimately fade under eye dark circles to a great extent while shielding your skin from damages. In addition to that, the moisturising properties of tomatoes assure that your skin is provided with hydration that is imperative to prevent further aggravation of dark circles.
How to apply it?
- Grate a slice of fresh tomato and squeeze out its juice in a bowl.
- Apply this under your eyes with the help of a cotton ball and let it stay for 10 minutes.
- Rinse it off with the help of freshwater and pat dry.
Hopefully, by now you understand the ill effects that dark circles bring and are ready to put in efforts into looking after them instead of covering them with sunglasses or concealers. Not only covering your dark circles is hectic but at the same time not treating your dark circle will only make them more prominent. So, make healthy lifestyle choices while using these remedies to get rid of those pesky dark circles once for all and achieve beautiful bright eyes instead of regretting it later.
There is a slew of topical treatments that can help you on your journey to achieve the fresh and dark circles-free look. According to Dr Joshua Zeichner, the director of cosmetic and clinical research at Mount Sinai Hospital, an eye cream is one of the best topical treatments for your dark circles and should be made an important part of your daily skincare regimen. It gently works on your delicate under-eye skin to improve its appearance by fading the dark circles and reducing puffiness. Other than that, it lessens any aspect of fine lines while rejuvenating your skin. Many research claims that lumiskin and hyaluronic acid are few such key ingredients present in an eye cream that clears dark circles while rendering deep nourishment to your skin.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.