Benefits Of Glycerin For Skin And Hair
Are you constantly finding ways to treat your skin and hair woes without any hassle? We understand that skin and hair problems such as dandruff, acne, dry skin etc. not only affects your appearance but also impacts your self-image and confidence. However, it is crucial to understand that flaunting glamorous skin and hair is not in the cards of everyone. Now, it doesn’t mean that you have to crush your hopes and dreams of procuring your goals. Instead, it's time to search and bookmark ways that will effectively help you in your journey without damaging your skin or hair in the process. Speaking of, a study published in the Indian Journal of Dermatology in the early months of 2016 explains that glycerin is a great addition not just to your skin care but also your hair care regimen. The study further elucidates the various benefits of glycerin when it comes to curbing skin and hair ailments.
What is glycerin?
According to a 2014 Cosmetic Ingredient Review, glycerin is the third most popular and frequently used ingredient in cosmetics, skin care and hair care products. It is also widely known and acknowledged as glycerol. Experts unfold that glycerin is basically a clear, colorless and syrupy liquid that acts as a humectant. In fact, a study conducted in 2016 states that glycerin is one of the most effective humectants used in skin and hair care products.
- Eradicates dandruff
- Cures acne and pimples
- Prevents split ends
- Treats dry skin
- Reduces hair fall
- Lends youthful-looking skin
1. Eradicates dandruff
Treating dandruff can surely turn into a hassle. This recurring hair ailment is encountered by many people daily. A study published in the National Library of Medicine explains that glycerin contains anti-microbial properties. It not only helps to prevent and get rid of dandruff but also helps in reducing the occasional scalp itching. Another study unravels that combining glycerin with apple cider vinegar makes an amazing remedy to reduce the white flakes lurking in between your hair strands and scalp.
How to use it?
- Pour 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and glycerin in a bowl.
- Blend the ingredients to a gooey-paste consistency.
- Evenly apply the mixture on your scalp and massage it well.
- Allow it to dry for about 15-20 minutes before washing it off with a mild shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Repeat this remedy once every 15 days for best results.
2. Cures acne and pimples
Studies show that glycerin is a suitable ingredient for all skin types. This plant-based oil helps to balance the pH level of your skin, hence preventing and treating acne. Moreover, glycerin keeps your skin nourished and hydrated without triggering excessive sebum production, hence helping you achieve clear and healthy skin. Combined with rose water, glycerin makes a perfect skin care step to stop acne and pimples naturally.
How to use it?
- Pour 2 tablespoons of glycerin along with 4-5 tablespoons of rose water in a bottle.
- Shake and mix the ingredients together.
- Spray the mixture on your skin daily followed by a hydrating moisturizer suitable for your skin type.
3. Prevents split ends
Split ends are a fairly common hair problem. They not only make your manes look unkempt but also dry and damaged. Top experts state that split ends are usually influenced by the development of dry scalp and moisture-deprived hair strands. This is where the need for glycerin rises. An analytical research study conducted in the early months of 2018 has found that glycerin effectively hydrates your hair follicles along with cuticles. This eventually makes your manes nourished and healthy, thereby helping to prevent and treat split ends.
How to use it?
- Add 3 tablespoons of glycerin along with 2 tablespoons of honey in a bowl.
- Mix the ingredients together after diluting it with some water.
- Apply the solution from the roots of your scalp to the ends of your hair.
- Leave it on for 15-20 minutes before washing it off.
4. Treats dry skin
A study published in the International Journal of Cosmetic Science states that glycerin can effectively improve your skin’s moisture levels. The study explains that glycerin attracts moisture from the environment and restores it in your epidermis (outermost layer of the skin), thus making your skin nourished and healthy. Aside from that, glycerin is also popularly known as a beneficial remedy to treat skin inflammations and wounds. It protects and shields your skin against the external pollutants and irritants, hence helping you attain healthy skin.
How to use it?
- Add 2 tablespoons of glycerin along with 1 tablespoon of almond oil in a bowl. (You can also add a few drops of essential oil of your liking)
- Blend both ingredients together and gently apply it on your skin in a circular motion.
- Rinse it away with water after 10-15 minutes.
5. Reduces hair fall
Excessive hair loss can be traumatizing and worrisome, to say the least. Along with impacting your hair health it also affects you mentally and emotionally. Top specialists unfold that glycerin can become a good alternative when it comes to treating hair loss while improving your hair health and growth. The experts elaborate that massaging glycerin combined with castor oil helps in improving blood circulation of your scalp. This further strengthens your manes, thereby helping in reducing the amount of hair fall experienced. In addition, glycerin is also known to treat hair thinning by locking the moisture in your hair strands while noticeably boosting your hair growth.
How to use it?
- Add 2 tablespoon of glycerin along with 1 tablespoon of castor oil in a bowl.
- Mix the ingredients together and gently massage the solution on your scalp with your fingertips.
- Let it rest for 10-15 minutes before washing it away with normal to cold water and a mild shampoo.
- Repeat this remedy at least once a week for fruitful results.
6. Lends youthful-looking skin
A research study presented by the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology confirms the effectual results of glycerin when it comes to slowing down the skin ageing process. According to the research study, glycerin helps in keeping your skin firm and hydrated. Moreover, topical application of glycerin helps to prevent and reverse the signs of ageing such as wrinkles, fine lines etc.
How to use it?
- Pour 1 tablespoon of glycerin and coconut oil in a bowl.
- Mix both ingredients together to form a gooey paste.
- Gently massage the mixture on your skin in a circular motion.
- Allow it to dry for 5-10 minutes before washing it off with a non-comedogenic cleanser and water.
Including glycerin in your skin and hair care routine in the form of a cleanser, toner, hair conditioner etc. will certainly benefit your skin and hair positively. However, it is crucial to recognize that your skin and scalp tends to be delicate and vulnerable at times. In certain conditions, glycerin may dehydrate or cause an allergic reaction. As a result, we would recommend you to always conduct a patch test and look out for any allergies or redness.