5 Common Bad Habits Ruining Your Hair
As might be expected, we all have had bad hair days. However, what if your bad hair day occurs every day even after following a hair care regime religiously? This won’t only affect your appearance but also your mindset by making you feel extremely conscious about yourself. So, what is it exactly that is making you face constant defeat by ceasing your chances of attaining healthy and flawless hair? If it seems that no matter what you do, you still are nowhere near your hair goals then you might want to reconsider your hair care habits.
A study conducted by the University of Missouri explains that something as simple as brushing your wet hair post-shower can be a reason that is ceasing your chances of achieving your hair goal. We understand that this must have made you doubt all the habits and routines which you have been following ever since. However, leave your worries at bay as we have assembled a list to help you curb your dilemmas.
TOP BAD HAIR HABITS CEASING YOUR CHANCE TO ACHIEVE HEALTHY AND SHINY HAIR
- Brushing wet hair
- Excessive use of heating tools
- Applying wrong hair products
- Neglecting weekly hair mask
- Wearing your hair up daily
1. Brushing wet hair
Top hair specialists emphasize that wet hair is extremely weak and vulnerable to breakage. So, the constant tugging while detangling your wet hair is seemingly non-appropriate for your hair health. In this regard, it is only wise to refrain from brushing or combing post-shower. Similarly, while working on your dry hair, it is essential to gently untangle them. It surely is time-taking and requires a little extra patience but it can help to reduce the amount of hair loss.
2. Excessive use of heating tools
It goes without saying that heat styling tools are an easy way to achieve a presentable hairdo. However, you should certainly acknowledge that using heating styles is one of the main bad hair habits that is leaving your hair frizzled or prone to excessive breakage. Your hair strands contain keratin proteins and hydrogen bonds that gets stripped away when you use these flat irons, hairdryers etc. This further results in damaged and frizzy hair. In addition, a study conducted in 2011 by the Annals of Dermatology found that these curling irons damage the protective layers of the cuticles. Thus causing excessive thermal damage to your tresses and scalp.
3. Applying wrong hair products
Using wrong hair products can severely damage your tresses by inducing split ends, frizziness, dullness in texture, excessive hair fall, premature greying etc. Finding the right product for your hair type will certainly take some trial and errors, but it’s worth the effort you put in. Always determine your hair type before investing in a product as that can save you from a huge hair crisis.
4. Neglecting weekly hair mask
Neglecting hair masks will leave your hair to appear dry, dull and frizzy. A hair mask is an extremely essential and effective step which should not be neglected. It provides deep conditioning and extra nourishment to your tresses while repairing any damaged hair strands. Countless researches explain that wearing a hair mask is a great way to relax the tension left behind by constant hairstyles and chemicals. Hair masks packed with restorative ingredients like pea protein and ceramides are considered good for retaining shine, lustre, and strength in hair.
5. Wearing your hair up daily
If you like to tie your hair up in a ponytail or top knots then it is high time you let go of that habit. Wearing your hair up daily with the help of hair tries, no matter how convenient they are, can lead to breakage, frizz and baldness. It is one of the bad hair habits which you should likely reconsider if you wish you to achieve flawless hair. Besides, many hairstylists suggest giving your tresses a break as often as you can by leaving them open. It will help your scalp and hair recover from unnecessary stress and tightness caused by constant hairdressings.
HAIR CARE TIPS TO ACHIEVE HEALTHY AND SHINY HAIR.
You don’t need to spend a fortune to achieve healthy and shiny hair. Certain hair care tips and tricks along with taking care of bad habits for your hair can help you achieve your hair goal without squandering your time and money on several trips to a salon. Without further ado, let us have a look at the solution to your constant worry.
- If you still wish to use heat styling tools like curling irons, straighteners etc., then look for a product that offers you control over temperature and have good quality plates. This ensures less damage to your hair. It is only wise to occasionally use these heat styles tools with proper care to ensure less damage to your tresses.
- Another way to save yourself from some hair trouble while achieving shiny and healthy hair is to embrace your hair’s natural colour. Unquestionably, there are many exciting colours to dye your hair in, however, various studies state that it contains harsh chemicals. We do concede that for some people, hair dyeing is a form of expressing oneself. In that case, always check the ingredients present in your hair dye before applying it and take extra precautions while applying it.
- Have you ever heard the popular old saying about brushing your hair for 100 strokes before bed? If you have and you practice that custom in your daily life then it is high time you put a stop to it. According to the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD), continuously brushing your hair tends to make your hair prone to more breakage and damage in the long run. Instead, follow one of the best hair care tips used by various hair stylists that is to give a few gentle strokes to your tresses every day.
Always check the ingredients present in a hair care product. Top dermatologists explain that certain harsh chemicals such as sulphate and silicone present in your hair care products are just as harmful to your hair as they are to your skin. They damage your hair by making them dull, frizzy and prone to breakage. That is why you should opt for silicone-sulphate free shampoos and conditioner for best results.