There has been a popular myth that men should not wear sunscreen for the longest time. Anything to do with beauty and skincare has been feminised, and not many men can confidently apply sunscreen in public.
The result of this rather uninformed myth is that more men continue to suffer from different skin issues. From age spots to skin ageing and skin discolourations, more men are now struggling with self-doubt, low confidence, bullying, and lack of self-consciousness.
Sunscreen is the ultimate healer for all these problems. The sooner more men discover this trick, the better.
Skin Concerns that Can Happen When Men Skip Sunscreen
1. Age Spots
Also known as solar lentigines, sun spots, or liver spots, age spots are small, flat dark areas on the skin. They usually appear in areas exposed to the sun, such as the hands, shoulders, arms, and face.
Age spots are prevalent in adults older than 50 years and can be contracted if you spend too much time in the sun.
Age spots are not pleasant to look at. Anybody with age spots on their body only means that they have exposed their skin to the sun for far too long.
Fortunately, by avoiding too much sunlight and using sunscreen regularly , you can do away with the age spots on your body.
2. Skin ageing
Skin ageing can be scary, even for men. If you look older than you are, the chances are that you will lose confidence, and your self-esteem will be very low.
Different features such as wrinkling, loss of skin elasticity, rough-textured appearance, and laxity contribute to skin ageing.
People, men included, who suffer from skin ageing can benefit from face serums, which have high-performance, hyperpigmentation, and targeted fragrance-free serums for acne and premature skin ageing .
3. Skin allergies
Skin allergies usually come in rashes and may cause a widespread eruption of skin lesions.
Even though skin allergies vary greatly and have many potential causes, they are all very uncomfortable to feel and see.
However, some forms of skin allergies can be prevented by simply having well-conditioned skin. Using sunscreens to prevent your skin from harmful ultraviolet rays is one way of ensuring this.
4. Skin discolouration
Sometimes the sun can cause your skin to have an uneven increase in melanin production, producing irregular skin colouring. This mostly happens when some parts of your skin are exposed to direct sunlight more than others.
Apart from the not-so-great visuals, skin discolouration can cause an endless stretch of small blood vessels, leaving your skin a mottled, reddish appearance.
Through regular use of sunscreens, you can even have pigmentation all over your body — this boosts your confidence and self-esteem as you go through your daily activities.
The skincare routine is not for women alone, as most people think
The same climatic conditions that affect women are the same ones that affect men — and men do not have tougher skin; it's a myth. Most men suffer from skin ageing, age spots, skin allergies, acne and discoloration, because of skipping sunscreen and other important steps of skin care routine.
When it comes to getting ready, men pride themselves on doing so quicker than ladies. They brag about how they can be ready in 15 minutes while women take more time performing their skincare routines. However, what men do not know is that skincare is as important as anything else . Here are some tips to get you started:
1. Forget about the Myth that Men Need Harsh Cleansers
Many myths are going around regarding how men should go about their skincare routines.
For instance, many men believe that their cleansers need to have some harsh elements because they are considered stronger, hence their skin needs harsh cleansers. This has been deliberate, including some skincare brands that have intentionally created men's cleansers with harsher ingredients.
- Opt for a mild and sulfate-free and non-comedogenic face cleanser .
If you have acne prone skin type then anti acne face wash that contains Zinc PCA and citric acid are a great option.
From dry to combination skin types, you can try AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acid) face cleansers. Mild exfoliating properties of AHAs slough away dead skin cells while keeping your skin hydrated and fresh looking.
2. Toners are Great for Reducing Open Pores
Due to hyperactive sebaceous glands, men have larger pores which tend to get clogged more easily. It is found that congested pores can easily lead to acne, whiteheads, blackheads, and dull complexion.
Fortunately, you can take care of your skin pores by using a skin toner that is free of alcohol and comprises botanical extracts.
- Toner does a great job in keeping your pores clean and breathable.
- Toners help to remove the dirt, oil, and other impurities from deeper layers of your skin.
- The Pore Refining Face Toners not only sweep skin debris but also help to shrink enlarged pores.
- Toners help to balance out the skin’s pH value , regulate sebum production, and neutralize acne-causing bacteria.
3. Serum Is Perfect for Antioxidant Protection
Like a skin superhero, an antioxidant serum prevents free radical damage, which usually causes skin damage in the form of hyperpigmentation, fine lines, dullness, and age spots .
- Helps to revive dull and dehydrated skin, making it more plump and soft.
- Boosts the collagen production in skin to diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Treats melasma and dark spots and lends your skin a natural glow.
- Dermatologist advice that one should look for Vitamin C derivatives like Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (SAP) in face serums for acne prone skin types .
4. Apply a Moisturiser for Soft and Hydrated Skin
Another myth is that men do not need a moisturiser because they have naturally oily skin. The truth is everyone requires hydration. In the same spirit, even oily skin needs moisture.
Yes, men too have to use moisturisers regardless of how much they think their skin is. Finding the perfect moisturiser can help prevent dryness during cold and hot weather conditions. They can also slow ageing, soothe skin sensitivity, offer protection from the sun, and help fight acne.
- Improves skin hydration which is important for healthy skin functions .
- Keep your skin barrier healthy by keeping the moisture locked in which in turn reduces the chances of premature aging .
- Speed up skin’ healing process which makes your skin more vibrant, healthy, and problem free.
5. Make Sunscreen Wearing a Daily Habit
Not all the rays that come from the sun are safe for your skin. Unfortunately, the UV rays are strong and can cause damage to any skin, including those of men. To prevent this, wearing sunscreen even when indoors can significantly reduce the chances of sunburn.
- Purchasing the right sunscreen is not enough in itself; you need to make wearing it a habit all year round.
- However, the type of sunscreen that you buy also plays a role in determining your success. Always opt for high-quality sunscreen with UVA, UVB, and IR protection with a PA ++++ rating .
- The water-resistant gel based sunscreens are best for outdoor sports such as swimming and cricket.
The Key Takeaway
When the sun's ultraviolet rays shine on your skin, it causes adverse effects if you do not have your sunscreen on. You will find that one area of your body is more pigmented than the other, which is not suitable for your confidence and self-esteem.
For men, note that using cleansers with harsh components is wrong ; always opt for a mild and sulfate-free cleanser. Purchase a toner to prevent clogged pores, serums to help you with antioxidant protection, and always apply a moisturiser for soft and hydrated skin. To prevent you from harmful sunlight rays, always wear your sunscreen even if you are indoors.
The effects of these products are only as good as the quality that you buy. For the best face serums, sunscreens, and moisturisers, Re'equil has got you. Visit and read our blogs for more helpful care tips.