Home Remedies To Prevent Premature Greys
It goes without saying that your hairstyles and hair colour can significantly alter your physical appearance, thereby impacting your body image. Even so, everyone has to encounter grey hair at some point in time of life. However, lately, a lot of people have started experiencing grey manes in their early 20s or 30s. This not only impacts your appearance but also affects self-esteem. A study conducted by the International Journal of Trichology explains that a majority of people experience premature greying of hair mainly due to genetics. Although there are several other reasons like melanin production, poor habits, lack of nutrition, particularly vitamin B12, stressful lifestyle etc., that leads to grey hair at a youthful age.
- Onion juice
- Coconut oil
- Curry leaves
- Amla powder
- Black tea
1. Onion juice
Onion paste is one of the most effective natural remedies to prevent and combat premature greys. An ayurvedic study conducted in the early months of 2017 unfolds that onions are known to restore the natural colour of your hair and prevent premature greys. The study elaborates that onions contain a good amount of vitamin C, folic acid, and copper which helps in delaying the greying of your hair. Furthermore, another study conducted by the National Library of Medicine found that onion juice also helps in treating chronic hair loss while reversing your grey hair.
How to apply?
- Pour 3 tablespoons of onion juice along with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in a bowl.
- Apply the mixture on your scalp and hair strands evenly.
- Let it rest for 25-30 minutes before washing your scalp and manes with a mild shampoo.
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a versatile ingredient that works for the welfare of your health, skin and hair. Ayurveda says that high body heat is one of the main causes behind premature greys. This is where coconut oil comes handy. According to numerous studies, coconut oil contains antioxidants which help to pacify your body heat, thus preventing grey hair. Furthermore, massaging coconut oil on your scalp also elevates the blood circulation, therefore helping you attain long and healthy hair.
How to apply?
- Warm 3-4 tablespoons of coconut oil in a bowl.
- Thoroughly massage the oil on your scalp and hair strands.
- Let it rest for 1-2 hours before washing it away.
- Repeating this natural remedy at least twice a week will deliver fruitful results.
3. Curry leaves
You would be astonished to know that the ingredient spicing up your everyday meals is also considered as an effective home remedy to prevent premature greys. Curry leaves act as an anti-oxidant as they contain vitamin A, C, and E and several other minerals like copper, magnesium, iron etc. Not only do they help in preventing premature greys but also strengthens and nourishes your hair follicles.
How to apply?
- Boil 4-5 curry leaves and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil together until they turn black.
- Allow it to cool for before blending them together.
- Thoroughly apply the mixture from your scalp to the tips of your hair.
- Let it rest for 10-15 minutes and wash it away with water and a silicon-sulphate free shampoo.
4. Amla powder
Amla is an amazing source of vitamin C and anti-oxidants. Many ayurvedic research studies explain that the vitamins present in amla helps in protecting your hair from prematurely greying. Moreover, the antioxidant properties make your hair strands thick, dark, and renewed.
How to apply?
- Add 3-4 tablespoons of amla powder in a bowl along with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Blend both ingredients together to a paste-like consistency.
- Gently apply the paste on from the roots of your hair to the tips.
- Allow the paste to dry before rinsing it away with water and shampoo.
5. Black tea
Black tea is an old-age yet popular natural remedy to treat and prevent premature greys. Besides, if you are someone who is looking for the best ways to treat hair loss, then black tea is your bae! Studies show that this potent concoction consisting of super ingredients like caffeine not only slows down the ageing but also improves hair elasticity. Furthermore, it allows your hair strands to flourish in endless growth while lending thickness and strength.
How to apply?
- Boil 2 cups of water and 2 tablespoons of black tea in a pan.
- Let it cool before pouring the water on your scalp and manes.
- Let it sit for an hour before rinsing it off with lukewarm water.
Following these home remedies will surely help you prevent and combat premature greying effectively. However, making healthy lifestyle changes is crucial in order to attain your hair goals. Exercising regularly, maintaining a healthy hair care regimen suitable for your scalp, consuming healthy meals while avoiding junk food are some of the imperative steps that you should consider inculcating in your everyday routine.
Top trichologists recommend including catalase-rich food like almond, wheatgrass, garlic, onion, leeks, cabbage, broccoli, cucumber etc., to prevent premature greys. The experts further explain that the increase in the production of hydrogen peroxide in your hair follicles can most likely lead to grey hair at a fairly young age. Your body produces catalase which helps in breaking preventing grey hair prematurely. But as you grow older, the production of catalase decreases, resulting in an increase in the development of grey hair.