Do you constantly notice your skin lacking the glow and radiance that you once flaunted proudly? If so, it is imperative to understand that the lack of glow could be a sign of dull skin. There are various culprits that directly influence the change in your skin. We understand that the sudden change in your skin must have left you frustratingly confused and worried. Understanding the causes influencing your skin while taking measures accordingly is the way to go. According to the Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology, it takes around 6 to 20 weeks to achieve your skin goals. So, don’t let your morale down and instead work on your skin with high spirits.
- Overall dehydration
- Using wrong skincare products
- Neglecting to moisturize
- UV damage
- Skin ageing
- Poor lifestyle choice
- Environmental pollution
1. Overall dehydration
A dehydrated body is vulnerable and susceptible to various health and skin-related concerns, one of them being noticeable dull skin. Various skin specialists unravel that not drinking enough water prohibits your body and skin from performing functions easily. This causes an increase in dead skin cells on the surface of your skin, thereby causing dull and tired skin, clogged pores etc. Make sure to drink at least 7 to 8 glasses of water every day if you wish to achieve healthy and glowing skin.
2. Using wrong skincare products
Most skin care products contain numerous harsh and harmful chemicals. Many research studies have shown that widely used chemicals ingredients in cosmetic products tend to wreak havoc of your skin. Silicone, sulphate, paraben etc have been identified as harmful ingredients for causing adverse effects such as premature skin ageing, dull skin and clogged pores. So, always examine the ingredients present in skincare products before investing in them.
3. Neglecting to moisturize
With the progression in time, your skin starts to lose the ability to replenish moisture within layers, thus resulting in dull skin. This is where the need for moisturizer arises. A moisturizer plays a key role in preventing dull skin. Top dermatologists explain that a moisturizer repairs your skin while providing hydration and nourishment, thereby resulting in radiant and dewy skin. Research published in the Journal of Dermato-Endocrinology has stated that hyaluronic acid is an important skin molecule in halting the process of dull skin and skin ageing. So, if you have a habit of excluding moistruizer from your skincare routine then it is time you re-evaluate your routine to strengthen your skin’s natural barrier and hydration.
4. UV damage
The harmful UVA and UVB rays of the sun tend to damage the DNA of your skin cells, thus provoking melanin production. Moreover, research conducted by the International Journal of Women’s Dermatology explains that unprotected sun exposure is known to weaken your collagen, therefore causing dull skin, fine lines etc.
5. Skin ageing
With progression in your age, your loses the ability to renew surface cells quickly as compared to your youth. This causes a rise in dead skin which makes your skin appear visibly dull and tired.
6. Poor lifestyle choice
Certain lifestyle choices such as opting for relatively unhealthy meal options, depriving yourself of 8 hours of daily sleep etc are known as one of the main reason behind dull skin. When you sleep, your skin starts to repair and regenerate its cells. Which is why limiting your regular sleep time tends to take a toll on your skin. Speaking of which, consuming unhealthy meals or junk food on a daily basis is just as bad for your skin. You tend to deprive your skin and body of various healthy nutrients and antioxidants when you opt for junk food instead of nourishing meals. It makes your skin appear visibly dull and tired while making you vulnerable to various skin problems.
7. Environmental pollution
Environmental pollution is extremely harmful and toxic for your skin. Studies show that the emissions from huge vehicles, factories etc tends to wreak havoc on your skin by clogging your pores and creating free radical damage. Furthermore, it is known as the main reason behind early skin ageing. As a result, your skin starts to appear dull with uneven skin tone, wrinkles, dark circles etc.
TIPS TO ATTAIN GLOWING SKIN
- It is extremely pertinent to follow a skin care regimen suitable for your skin type. A proper skincare regime ensures the safety and maintenance of your skin. In addition, it helps to maintain the glow and radiance of your skin while warding off any skin problem.
- Always make sure to be sun protected. Applying sunscreen while covering your skin are some of the major precautions that can save you from many skin troubles. A broad-spectrum sunscreen protects your skin from the harmful UVA and UVB rays of the sun while providing skin brightening effects.
- If you have a habit to sleep with makeup on then it is high time to make some changes in your daily habits. Top dermatologists explain that the makeup present on your skin starts to blend with oil, dirt and sweat that tend to build-up gradually throughout the day, resulting in dull complexion, acne etc. So, refrain from sleeping with makeup on and instead form a nighttime skincare routine to attain glowing skin.
- It is imperative to understand the relationship between stress and your skin. The onset of stress tends to trigger various unwelcoming responses from your skin like breakouts, dull complexion, dark circles etc. Which is why it is pivotal to manage your stress levels. Allow yourself to relieve your everyday stress with the help of an activity that you love and appreciate spending time on. Meditation, causal readings, listening to music can be a great way to ward off any build-up everyday stress.
Various skin specialists explain that determining your skin type and understanding it’s needs can definitely help you prevent dull skin, acne, hyperpigmentation and various other skin concerns. Whereas, neglecting to do so may cause more harm than good to your skin. Once you identify your skin type, then you can easily execute a skincare routine and receive promising results.