While winter brings the joys of hot cocoa, cozy sweaters and holiday festivities, it also brings challenges for your skin and hair. The cold and dry air can have a noticeable impact on your body, potentially resulting in dry skin and making your hair more prone to brittleness.
To keep your skin and hair healthy and glowing throughout the winter season, it is crucial to adjust your skincare and haircare routine. Here is a comprehensive checklist tailored to your skin-type to help you navigate this year's winter season with healthy, radiant skin and lustrous locks.
Top 5 skincare tips to combat oily winter skin
As the weather transitions to winter, adjusting your skincare routine is crucial, especially if you have oily skin. The dry air can exacerbate oil production and lead to skin imbalances causing stubborn acne and pimples. However, with a well-crafted skincare routine, you can transform your oily skin into a glowing asset. Just follow these tips.
- Start your skincare routine with a gentle, foaming, sulphate-free cleanser enriched with oil control ingredients like zinc PCA & citric acid. This will effectively eliminate excess oil and impurities while maintaining your skin's pH balance and regulating sebum production.
- Exfoliate 1-2 times a week with a gentle exfoliant to remove dead skin cells and prevent clogging of pores. Avoid over-exfoliating, which can make your skin produce even more oil.
- The next step is applying an alcohol-free toner, which works to refine your pores, neutralise acne-causing bacteria, and retain essential moisture. This step will help you achieve a smoother, clearer complexion.
- Befriend a gel-based, non-comedogenic moisturiser. Not only does this provide much-needed hydration without clogging pores, but it also boosts collagen production, deeply hydrates the skin and prevents breakouts and the appearance of enlarged pores.
- Complete your skincare routine with a non-comedogenic, oxybenzone-free sunscreen with SPF 50. Such sunscreens are not only effective sun protectors, but also offer additional benefits such as being anti-irritant, owing to bio-active ingredients like aloe vera extract & Eurol BT.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
- Maintain a balanced diet enriched with fruits, vegetables and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Avoid heavy, oil-based makeup and skincare products.
Top 5 tips to winter proof dry skin type
In the colder months, opt for hydrating cleansers that replenish the skin without stripping its natural oils. Managing dry skin in the changing seasons, especially as we approach winter, is essential to keep your skin nourished and radiant. Here is how you can tailor your skincare routine for dry skin during this time.
- Begin your skincare routine with a sulphate-free hydrating cleanser enriched with AHAs and citrus extracts. This type of cleanser replenishes your skin without stripping its natural oils, reduces dullness, and promotes an even skin tone.
- Opt for a hydrating and alcohol-free toner enriched with skin-loving ingredients like hazelnut extract and allantoin. These ingredients will balance your skin's pH, tighten enlarged pores, remove dark spots, and improve overall skin texture.
- Choose a nourishing, non-comedogenic moisturizer with ceramides and hyaluronic acid. This will provide deep moisture retention for long hours, strengthen your skin's barrier, and improve your skin tone.
- Choose a hydrating serum with ingredients like hyaluronic acid, glycerine or niacinamide. These ingredients can lock in moisture and help repair the skin's barrier.
- The winter sun is good, and you must soak it in whenever you can, but unprotected sun exposure will damage your skin and cause photoageing of the skin. To prevent this, use a non-comedogenic broad spectrum sunscreen with SPF 50.
- Don't forget to use a lip balm with SPF to avoid chapped lips as lips tend to get drier for most skin types during the winter season, but those with dry skin can suffer from cuts or bleeding lips too.
- Consider using a hydrating mask to give your skin an extra boost of moisture. Ingredients like aloe vera, honey or hyaluronic acid can be beneficial.
- Consider using a humidifier in your room to add moisture to the dry indoor air, which can help prevent skin dehydration.
Winter-proof your locks with top 4 hair care strategies
Have you been noticing sudden excessive hair fall? It is probably just weather change. The transition to winter demands a shift in our hair care routine. The cold weather can strip moisture from our locks, leaving them dry and brittle. To adapt, it is essential to switch to a hydrating and nourishing hair care routine that combats the effects of the cold weather, keeping the following tips in mind.
- Elevate your hair game with shampoos that contain all-season active bio ingredients like nasturtium officinale extract and tropaeolum majus extract that provide essential nutrients to hair follicles, promoting hair vitality and resulting in thicker and fuller hair. They are designed to address the root causes of hair fall, including excessive shedding, thinning and breakage.
- For a more focused approach to hair and scalp concerns, hair fall control serums are a valuable addition to your routine. With higher concentrations of active ingredients like pisum sativum sprout extract and niacinamide, they strengthen existing hair, promote new hair growth, and are easy to apply throughout your hair.
- Want to transition from frizzy to fabulous? Choose conditioners enriched with ingredients like organic babassu oil and erythritol known to combat frizz stemming from factors like humidity, dryness and hair damage. These conditioners work by creating a protective barrier along the hair shaft, preventing excess moisture from infiltrating and resulting in a frizz-free, polished appearance.
- Make sure to include weekly or fortnightly oiling for your hair and scalp to prepare it for the approaching winters. Many people experience dry hair and scalp during the winter season, so it is essential to give your locks the extra nourishment they need in winters. Using almond oil, castor oil and olive oil can help prevent moisture loss and improve the overall health and appearance of hair during the winter season.
- Sleeping on a silk or satin pillowcase can reduce friction and help prevent breakage and split ends.
- Use lukewarm or cool water for rinsing your hair. Hot water can strip away natural oils and lead to dryness and frizz.
- Combat static by using an anti-static hairbrush and applying a small amount of leave-in conditioner or hair oil to your locks.
In the spirit of a vision for healthy and radiant skin and hair, it is essential to recognise the significance of winter skincare and haircare essentials. These carefully selected products and routines are the secret weapons to maintain one’s natural beauty, especially during this changing weather pattern. By embracing hydration, protection and nourishment, let's aim to equip ourselves with the confidence to confront changes and take the first step towards a more vibrant you.
Elevate your selfcare routine today! Remember, your best self is just a click away – seize the opportunity and transform with our scientifically formulated products. Your transformation starts ‘Now’!