Ever heard about the CG method or no-poo method? Are you very selective while buying hair care products just because you wish to flaunt your hair to the world? Well, I am sure, if you have curly hair naturally, you must have heard about Lorraine Massey, the founder of Devachan Salons. The book Curly Girl: The Handbook is the reason behind this widely followed Curly Girl Method.
Having curly hair must have been a difficult task for you definitely. Frizzy and damaged hair with uneven texture must have been your best friend over all this time. But it’s now time to say ‘no more’. Let us know what the curly girl method says and what is in it which makes the people so mad over the curly hair care.
Curly Hair Care
Curly Girl Method is also known as ‘no-poo’ method because it says no to shampoos especially in order to avoid silicones, sulphates, and parabens which damage the hair by getting deposited on the scalp over a period of time which block the hair follicles. Massey focused on three steps throughout her book: cleanse, condition, and style irrespective of the type of hair you have. Let us see what steps you will have to follow in order to follow the curly girl method:
1. Cleanse with a mild and gentle shampoo which is free from sulphates, silicones, and parabens in order to remove all the dirt from the scalp and clean it properly. It is necessary to cleanse with a shampoo free from such harmful chemicals as they harm the scalp by getting deposited over a period of time and clog the hair follicles.
2. Condition your locks with a good conditioner free from silicones and parabens and let it stay in your hair for 5-10 minutes before rinsing it with cold water.
3. After conditioning, blot your hair with a towel and apply natural gels or moisturizer. You can also prefer using leave-in conditioners.
Do you also feel that the curly girl method is very easy? Well, it is as easy as you are thinking of it to be. But before you start practising this method regularly, you need to take care of certain rituals for curly hair care like:
1. Get your hair trimmed regularly. Get them trimmed before you start this method.
2. Use the shampoo you have been using regularly for one last time to get rid of all the dirt, oil, and residue left on your scalp.
3. After that, switch to a sulphate-free shampoo and shift to no-poo or low-poo shampoo. This will not only help your hair but will also help the environment as it reduces the need and use of water.
4. Look for a good hair serum or leave-in conditioner to keep your hair moisturized after the hair wash. But make sure that whatever hair care product you choose is free from sulphates, silicones, and parabens.
5. Avoid using combs to brush your hair. Use your fingers or wide toothed combs to detangle them.
Do’s and Don’ts for No-Poo Method
• Use gentle cleansing actions and ingredients.
• Try to use protein-rich formulas.
• Prefer moisturizing ingredients like aloe vera and glycerin.
• Use sulphate and silicone free hair care products.
• Get split-ends trimmed regularly.
• Use natural hair emmolients.
• Avoid using products containing alcohol and artificial fragrance.
• Do not use heating and styling products.
• Do not use hair brushes or combs.
• Avoid hair perfumes.
• Avoid products with silicones and sulphates.
Read some expert tips by Lorraine Massey here.