Hyperpigmentation is a very common skin condition in which dark coloured patches develop on the skin. These patches generally appear on the parts which are exposed to the Sun regularly. Hyperpigmentation makes the skin look uneven on the surface. It is also known as brown spots, age spots, dark spots, and even the mask of pregnancy. However, we all suffer from hyperpigmentation, people with darker skin tone are more prone to it but, there are various tips to prevent hyperpigmentation.
In most cases, hyperpigmentation is caused by unprotected sun exposure. The UV rays stimulate the pigment cells i.e. melanocytes in order to start making melanin which also causes suntan sometimes. There are three types of hyperpigmentation:
- Epidermal: Visible light brown spots.
- Dermal: Brown spots which might be ashen-grey in some cases.
- Mixture: It is a mixture of epidermal and dermal which is generally dark brown in colour.
Prevent Dark Patches on the Skin
Learn about certain tips to prevent hyperpigmentation below:
- As soon as you notice a change in your skin, which you feel is hyperpigmentation or dark spots, immediately start taking treatment in order to prevent it from growing further. It will stop the production of tyrosinase which is an enzyme responsible for the development of melanin.
- Avoid going under the sun for a longer duration. If you do so, you should apply and spread sunscreen evenly on all the exposed body parts in order to protect them from suntan or sunburns. Always remember that there is no such thing as a safe suntan.
- During hormonal changes, certain dark patches on the skin can be formed, especially during the times of pregnancy. You should not worry about those spots and should also avoid touching them. They will go away after your pregnancy when your body will get back to normal.
- Pricking and scratching can increase the pigmentation if caused. It can start by itching even a small acne or blackhead or insect bite. This action can lead to inflammation which can, in turn, cause hyperpigmentation.
- Usage of drugs like anti-depressants can also be a reason behind hyperpigmentation. Even chemicals in topical treatments might cause spots. Therefore, you must be very alert if you find any allergic reactions occurring on your skin due to any such reason.
- Use anti-inflammatory skincare actives whenever you sense even a bit of change in your skin in order to prevent it from getting out of control.
Home Remedies for Hyperpigmentation
However, if you follow the above tips to prevent hyperpigmentation, you will not suffer from any kind of uneven skin. In case you are already suffering from dark patches on the skin or hyperpigmentation, you can also look at some home remedies for hyperpigmentation here.